It is likely that a farmstead has existed on the site at Gilwell Park for at least 600 years. The Estate was bought and sold many times and at some point over the next 250 years the current Farmhouse was built with various outbuildings needed to facilitate a working farm. 1823 historic maps clearly show the presence of the farmhouse and a large L shaped building to the North. When the Scout Association purchased the Estate in 1919 the various buildings were in a poor state of repair.
Gilwell Farmhouse is of timber frame construction much of which on closer investigation was decayed and beyond repair. Significant temporary supports had to be installed to allow structural repairs to be undertaken. The roof has been completely renovated and retiled using reclaimed roof tiles. Externally the building has been re clad and significant brickwork repairs undertaken. Internally the property has been restored using traditional construction methods. The ground slab has been completely replaced.
The Scout Association whose world HQ is now at Gilwell Park have embraced the heritage of the Estate. Beardwell are very proud to have been commissioned to lovingly restore this Grade II listed building to its former character the only remaining standing structure of the Gilwell Farmstead.