The school moved to its current Victorian premises on Lexden Road in 1923 into a house known as Glen Mervyn. It purchased the neighbouring castle style property called The Turrets in 1974
The Turrets is a Grade II listed 190 year old building in the Gothic Curiosity Style
The main building is primarily of pitched roof construction with isolated flat roof areas, castellated parapets, solid brickwork external walls with rendered finish and structural timber floors. Windows and external doors are timber. Several are of gothic design.
Beardwell were appointed to undertake external repairs to the fabric of the building.
This included replacing the existing pitched roof coverings, rainwater goods and windows, repairing external render, timber windows and doors, full external redecoration, replacing the lead roof coverings to the north east facing bay windows, and replacing flat roof coverings to small roof areas at high level.
In addition a complete internal refurbishment to the schools site managers’ family accommodation was undertaken. Temporary accommodation was provided by Beardwell within the grounds of the school whilst these works were undertaken.
All budget, time and quality targets were met.